Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bangda Curry


We found this new Chinese place which sells fresh fish!! Anyone will be surprised to hear how we stumbled upon this place... on our way to temple!!! Yeah its just 2 blocks away!

Anywayz, we got a nice black pompfret and just 1 bangda. I m not into eating fish but hubby loves them. I have found out that I do like tilapia though. And I baked the pomfret last night for dinner but before I could click some pictures, hubby had already started as he just couldnt wait.. hehehe!! And I liked the pomfret too. I think I like fish which dont have a very strong taste and thus.. tilapia and pomfret :)

Getting back to the bangda curry. This is the way my MIL cooks. She is an excellent cook and I have learnt most of the south indian curries from her... she has lived her entire life in Karnatak. Now even my MOM is an excellent cook too. Everyone says I have picked up after my mom :) I love to hear this but I just cant make things as good as her.. Nowayz!!

Now my mom and MIL have entirely different ways of making fish curry.. so I am lucky that I can make curries both MIL style n mom style :)

As i said before I have learned this curry from my MIL who has learnt from her MIL :) And thus the tradition continues!!!

Ingredients:
1 bangda medium slices washed with turmeric n salt
1/4 medium onion sliced vertically
1/2 tsp jeera
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1 tspn tamrind paste
1 inch ginger
2 big cloves garlic
1-2 sprigs of cilantro
2 tbsp chilli powder (increase or decrease according to taste)
1 tbsp garam masala powder
Salt as per taste
1 pinch of turmeric


Method:
  • In a heated pan, saute the onions in abt 1 tspn oil till they turn translucent.
  • Now add the jeera and saute till the jeera turns color. Be careful not to burn the jeera.
  • In a belnder, grind the onion-jeera alongwith cilantro, ginger and garlic with some water.
  • Make into a fine paste and pour over the fish.
  • Add the turmeric, salt, tamrind paste, chilli powder and garam masala powder and mix and let it marinate for 1-2 hrs.

  • In a hot pan, add 1 tspn of oil and add the marinated fish.
  • Add water to the desired consistency* and get it to a boil and immediately turn the heat to medium.
  • Let it simmer on medium heat for about 20 mins, after which the greeninsh curry will turn into a nice deep red color.
  • Done... have it with bhakri or rice.

Note:
* Add little more water than the desired end consistency as while boiling the water will evaporate.
** If there is leftover curry (without the fish) break 1-2 eggs in the boiling curry to make this into egg curry!

Verdict:
"Heaven"... these are the words from my hubby as soon as he tasted the curry!!! I was sooo happy as this is the first time I made this one!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really good. Can I ask you a naive question. Is "bangda" the Indian name or American and if Indian what is the name I should go looking for? Do you have suggestions for what else I could use if I didnt find it. Cant wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Bangda is called Mackerel in US/UK.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I suppose that Bangdas are indeed called Mackerels in the US & UK, but there is no bangda that actually tastes like the ones caught off the south west coast of India. You can get them anywhere along the coast, from Mumbai (Bombay) to Kanya Kumari.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sushila.

I read this recipe three times over, in an attempt to find out when exactly the coconut is added! I couldn't find it! If you read this, could you please let us know? Or is my eyesight going kaput?

Anonymous said...

To anonymous - the coconut needs to be put into the blender alongwith the cilantro, ginger, garlic etc.

Thank you for this recipe.